Thursday 2 August 2012

Day 6 HayleTowans to Porthtowan

Rain, Rain go away come again another holiday! I woke up to a storm of mizzle and blustery wind which seemed to get worse and worse. I spoke to my weather forcaster (Mum) and we planned to wait it out and continue on to Porthtowan later in the day. Sure enough this plan came good as I had a clear and dry walk to my destination.


Along the way I passed Hell's Mouth, which was a scarily high cliff over a pebble and boulder beach. The only thing between myself and sure death if I fell, was a knee high wooden barrier. 


Leaving Hell's Mouth I headed out accross the North Cliffs. This part of the path was particularly straight as it ran accross the top of the Cliffs. There were however a few diversions due to landslides and cliff erosion. The view to St Agnes Head was awesome.


I arrived at Portreath, a great little surfing village and I ate my packed lunch, kindly made for me by Sandra Chadwick. I chilled out and watched people learning to surf before heading on to Porthtowan. My route out of Portreath was like something from Labyrinth or Lord of the Rings. I ascended a footpath where claws of nettles, and arms of vines grabbed at me, one even stole my hat! I battled on through the lively bush and eventually came out at the top of the headland. The route to Porthtowan was very windy and I had to scramble up a few headlands on all fours as the wind was catching my backpack and really sending me off balance. Some of the descents and ascents were quite steep.

I reached Porthtowan and was met by my Mum and Lollypop. As the forcast was so bad for the next day we made the decision to head home for the night and have a day of rest on Day 7. However it is now Day 7 and I have woken to sunny skies so I am about to head off again. Next stop Newquay!!

Hmmm well I dont look too shocked there! Clearly did not achieve the goal hahaha. Walking on your own has definatly presented an issue with photo documenting my trip, especially when I'm the only one silly enough to be walking in the wind and rain!





1 comment:

  1. Rain is not a problem. Enjoy it. It is only water. You drink it and bathe in it (one assumes1). Well that's my logic a) because I've just been for a swim 95th time this week) and b) cos I'm inside watching the Olympics and leaving the brave stuff to others ;)

    ReplyDelete